Friday, June 15, 2012

Favorite Things Friday (Pizza!)

Remember a few weeks ago when I did the ice cream edition of FTF?  Let's keep going with the food theme, shall we?

I love pizza... Even more so than ice cream.  All kinds of pizza.  In my world, Dominos, frozen pizza, Brooklyn style pizza, stuffed crust...... all different foods.  I could eat each of those in one day and not feel like I ate the same thing over and over again.  I probably eat pizza 6 days a week and I'm not even ashamed about that.  It's the perfect food in my opinion.

So here, because I know you were wondering, are my favorite pizzas, in no particular order.  Just writing this post makes me want to travel to all of the places that I am so lucky to have called home or to have visited.


Best Pizza in Minnesota - Pizza Luce
Picture taken straight from their website.  Such a familiar sign - a little piece of home.
By far, one of the things I miss most about not living in Minneapolis.  Pizza Luce's Seward location was my own personal place of heaven in college.  It's amazing what you can get done over a large plate of delicious cheese bread and a side Caesar salad.  I wrote many a final paper in one of their over-sized booths, watching the world walk down Franklin Ave.

Fast forward to 2am when you've been drinking beer all night with your friends.  Nothing beats their Garlic Mashed Potato pizza.  Nothing. 

And if it happens to be 2am downtown, when you're waiting for your friends who are bartenders to get off of work and you're freezing outside because it's December and Minnesota is obviously cold in December, the Pizza Luce downtown serves food until 3:30.  In a town where bars close at 2:00, that's a godsend.


Best Pizza in Green Bay - Sammy's Pizza
(I was lucky enough to have this just a few weeks ago!)
This delightful family place is literally across from my parents' house.  We've been eating there since I was a kid.  In fact, my sister and I both went to preschool with the children of one of the owners and my mom waited tables there when I was a kid.  While the service has left a little to be desired the last few times I was home, you cannot beat their food. 

I highly recommend the Classic Combo pizza - fresh mozzarella, the most delicious pepperoni you have ever tasted, onions, green peppers, Italian sausage (which I don't even like anywhere else!), and fresh mushrooms.  I am a girl that likes a lot of toppings piled on my pizza.  The best thing about Sammy's is that you can have a boatload of toppings and not feel overwhelmed.  If you're anything like me, however, you will probably drop at least one piece of pizza covered with boatloads of toppings in your lap.  I think I've only made it through one dinner there without staining whatever I was wearing at the time.  It's just that good.

Plus, because it's Green Bay, you can get a pretty great glass of Chianti for only a few dollars to go with your pizza.  Always a perk!

Perhaps my favorite thing about Sammy's is that, while we think of it as a Green Bay original, it really isn't.  One late night in college, I was discussing "back home" with a friend and we discovered that she too had grown up on Sammy's pizza - only she was from Northern Minnesota.  Turns out it was the same family - small world.  You can get the whole story here, but it was worth mentioning.


Best Pizza in Lexington - Goodfellas
(Had this for lunch this week!)

Like I mentioned above, in my world Brooklyn style pizza isn't even in the same food group as other kinds of pizza.  On my occasions than I should probably admit, I have eaten Goodfellas for lunch and order Dominos for dinner.  But I digress...

Goodfellas quite possibly has the best lunch deal available in Lexington.  Their pizza is always hot and fresh-enough and a slice is as big as my head.  Literally.  Their lunch deal includes a slice of pizza, a beverage, and a side - usually a breadstick that is half as tall as I am, but sometimes if I'm feeling "healthy" I get a salad instead.  Or a cannoli.  Yum.

As I said, Goodfellas is "fresh-enough" - it's typical, thin crust, Brooklyn style pizza that isn't always 100% piping hot but is always gooey, greasy, and downright delicious.  They always have creative toppings (spinach artichoke is a favorite of my coworkers) but I stick with the classics.  Hawaiian or plain old pepperoni or, if I'm lucky, pepperoni and mushroom.


Best Pizza that You Can Get Delivered Almost Anywhere for When  You Want to Cozy Up in Bed with After a Long Day, When it's Raining or When You're a Little Hungover... - Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust
For any of the above occasions, I usually load on the toppings - Green Pepper, Black Olives, Mushrooms, and Ham
Or When You Just Want Beer and Pizza... 
You can't beat Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust with loads of pepperoni and a six pack of Bud Light.  They were MADE FOR EACH OTHER.

Best Side of Cheesy Bread that You Can Get Delivered Almost Anywhere - Domino's Stuffed Cheesy Bread with Spinach and Feta
Have you tried it yet?  No.  Order some now.  It's delicious.  Too bad I don't particularly care for Domino's pizza.  

1 comment:

  1. Pizza Luce had me at "garlic mashed potato pizza."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...