Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Total Trash

I know that I've shared before that I'll read almost anything once, especially anything that's available free for my Kindle. And by anything, I mean it.

That means I spend a lot of time reading things that I would be embarrassed to tell my mom about. Unfortunately for her (and possibly for you if you blush easily), the ridiculous success of Fifty Shades of Grey  changed what can and cannot be talking about in literature for most women. Not that I've read any of the Fifty Shades books. If they've hit the mainstream, I can guarantee they aren't going to get my blood boiling. Just sayin'.


Usually I don't share the total trash that I read but Sexy in Stilettos by Nana Malone is worth sharing. Is there plenty of sex to get your heart pumping? Sure is - some of which is pretty graphic, public, or otherwise taboo. But nothing that would be more inappropriate than the aforementioned summer book blockbuster.


The difference between this book and so many of the others I've read that are blush-inducing is that these characters are more real. They aren't just a piece of meat, a sexy body, or a brain dead idiot. Not in the least. 


The female lead, Jaya, is a woman who is going through the process of finding herself - after finding her then-boyfriend in bed with her sister, she gets fired from the family business due to the influence of said ex-boyfriend. She's a classic example of a woman who thinks she knows herself but is still "willing" (because we all know she'll fight it) to be vulnerable and learn more. And as so many of us know, no matter how well you think you know yourself, how confident you are on your own, letting someone else take control once in a while is a lesson that isn't easy to learn. In this case, Jaya allows herself to learn those lessons through a relationship with a man.


And the man. Whoo. Sensitive, kind, and charming with a hint of mystery. In short, unrealistically perfect. But still realistic enough to keep you interested. And not totally f-ed up. I get sick of those stories where the men have so much baggage. I've been in that relationship before and there is nothing sexy about getting your heart stomped on time and time again and hearing the "I can't help it because _________" excuse.


But I digress.


So ladies... If you can't sleep, need a diversion on the weekend, or your hubby is out of town, I highly recommend Sexy in Stilettos. I warned you about the sex so don't get your panties in a bunch when you get to it. Unfortunately, it's no longer free on Amazon but I think it's well worth the $3.99 price tag. Pour yourself a glass of wine, run a bubble bath (be careful - my Kindle will never work properly again after landing in the bath once or twice), lock the kids and cats out, and enjoy.


(And Dad, if you're reading this, I don't recommend adding it to the to-read list.)


Rikki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...